Monday, January 13, 2014

Fletcher's Nursery

My sweet baby fox.  Here is your nursery.  

I think it's my favorite.  Something about it just feels right.

I love that its collected, not decorated.  I rummaged through antique stores, estate sales, Etsy shops and the far corners of our home to gather items for a thoughtful, warm space for you to come home to.

It turned out to be the softest, most peaceful place in our house and I love to just be with you in it.
From the little wooden sewing drawers that hold your books...to the authentic army cot that your Boobo slept on during his youth (that technically belongs to your Uncle Michael ;)...to the small wooden duck that was a gift brought to us all the way from Slovakia...every item in your room could be a story.
My dear friend, Amy, took this picture on Fletcher Street in Chicago and had a canvas made. It's the welcome sign on the door to your room.  It makes me smile every time I walk passed it.
I made the cornices above your windows out of foam board, batting, fabric and hot glue.  A lot of hot glue.  I like that they hide the blackout shades hung behind them.
Lolli made this sweet horse especially for you, personalized with your name and birthday.  It goes perfectly in your room.
Your brothers love to sit at the table and read or color while I rock you to sleep.
I bought this little plant when you were barely the size of a pea.  It's been living happily in your nursery for many, many months. 
Each piece of furniture in the room is second (or third or fourth) hand.  I sanded and painted (with a mask on :) and tightened screws and gave these forgotten pieces a new purpose.

Your crib sits in what used to be a closet and really opens up the room.

This room was a labor of love and I wouldn't change a thing. I know you're not aware of all of the decor and details, but you really do love your nursery.  It's one of the brightest rooms in the house, so when I open all of the blinds and let the sun shine in you get quiet and look around.
Fletcher in his favorite, softest blanket made by his Mimi.
You blink slowly and take it all in.  You love the contrast in the herringbone rug and watching the small crocheted horses on the mobile as they go around to the music.  You won't remember these early days but the time spent together in your nursery are some of my most precious with you so far.

{Before pics when it was Sullivan's nursery.}

No comments:

Post a Comment